Friday, September 21, 2007

Less is More!

This week we've been engaged in ISTEP testing in our school. One of the positive things that has come out of this process is that I've been given a reminder about the power and benefit of using non-verbal communication with my students. Too often I want to verbally tell them or engage in a conversation about they should be or should not be doing. I tend to get wordy, repeat myself and even go on for a bit (at times- imagine!). Because of the nature of ISTEP, I have been limited in my ability to direct with the spoken word. This week I've noticed how the negative verbal behaviors of some of my students- like arguing, having the last word or whining- have reduced by me substituting non-verbal dialogue or less wordage of my own. Enough said. :)

1 comment:

Ruth Ayres said...

true, true -- i remind myself of this when i struggle to keep my focus lessons less than 15 minutes!