Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sisters

" I don't believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers. It makes them siblings, gives them mutuality of parentage. Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at. "

~ Maya Angelou

I have been pretty open in the impact that my brother has made on me and my profession. Equally important on who I have become as a human being, is that of my sister. She is truly remarkable and an important part of my life.

I am nearly a decade older than both my brother and sister, who are not even a year-and-a-half apart in age. For a long time, I resented that I was so much older and always a distance from them and their special bond. However, I think that it was a true gift to be able to really see them grow up from the time they were infants until now. It is has also been a gift to see her as an adult today and appreciate the way she continues to grow and change.

My sister is strong, intelligent, sassy, independent, vivacious and absolutely beautiful inside and out. She is inquisitive and sensitive. Charming and frugal. Bright and bold.

I love you. Thank you for always being honest, even when it's painful, and for supporting me in my goals. You have made me a better teacher, person, daughter, friend and hopefully, sister. Thank you for seeing the good in me, when I can't. Thank you for being you.

No comments: